Check out our list of the Top 5 Benefits to Spaying/Neutering your pup. There are a few things you may not know about, including added heath benefits.
TOP 5 REASONS TO SPAY/NEUTER
1. Your dog will not contribute to the massive dog overpopulation. Last year, there were 8 million pets who went into shelters. Only half of them made it out. Spaying and neutering is the #1 way to help this growing problem.
2. If neutered young, male dogs are less aggressive and generally have less aggression-related behavior problems including marking, humping, guarding toys and food and dog aggression. According to the ASPCA, over 70% of dog fights are from unneutered male dogs.
3. Females do not experience heat cycles, meaning a much easier time for you! Females in heat can become territorial, cry, howl and attract a lot of male attention. It can be a recipe for disaster if there is an unfixed male dog in the house!
4. Spaying reduces the chances of breast cancer in female dogs. In male dogs, neutering prevents testicular cancer (if done before 6 months).
5. Dogs, especially females, who are fixed live longer, healthier lives.
Every February, the Humane Society hosts Spay Day USA, a national day of spay/neuter awareness. This year, Spay Day USA takes place on February 28, 2012. There are many ways to participate; spay/neuter your pet, enter the Spay Day Photo Contest, organize an event or become a sponsor. There are many ways to get involved; the #1 thing being to spay and neuter your pup! It’s for the good of your pet, your pet’s health, your family and your community. What better time to spay/neuter than Spay Day USA?!
Your local shelter or Humane Society is the best place to get your pet spayed or neutered for an affordable price. Most rescue organizations charge $30-$100, depending on where you are. Some organizations hold promotions during the year offering free or reduced fees for spay or neuter. You can click here to find a directory of veterinarians and rescue organizations that offer low cost or free spay/neuter services. Check it out!