Gum With Xylitol = Highly Toxic to Dogs


Gum containing the popular sweetener Xylitol can be extremely harmful to dogs. It can cause liver failure, drops in blood sugar, hypoglycemia and even death if not treated quickly. Xylitol can also cause problems down the road for your dog, including blood sugar abnormalities that require medication. (Read more about Xylitol from the product website here.)

Usually, one piece of gum will not hurt a dog. Small dogs who ingest more than that can become very sick. If your small dog (under 25 lbs.) ingests more than one piece of gum, seek medical attention at your vet immediately. Larger dogs can be affected by as little as 5-6 pieces, depending on the type of gum, and the amount of Xylitol it contains. Whenever your dog ingests more than one piece of gum, it is advised you call or visit your veterinarian as soon as possible.

Xylitol is a sweetener used in gum, candy, mints even cakes and cupcakes. The symptoms of Xylitol poisoning include vomiting, inability to stand or walk, lethargy and even seizures in more serious poisonings. Without treatment, dogs can get very sick and even die. This is why it is so important to call your vet if your dog eats anything containing Xylitol!

Our Story

A few months ago, Scarlett decided to jump up on the kitchen counter for a delicious pack of gum sitting out. We were putting away groceries and didn’t notice she snuck off with the recently bought pack, especially since she’s never taken anything off the counter before. Obviously, this gum was too good to pass up. We noticed 5-10 minutes after she had taken it; “hey, where is that gum we bought?”. We ran around the house, only to find her sitting on our bed, shreds of gum wrapping paper all over the bed.

She ate about 6-7 pieces in total, so we called our veterinarian immediately. We are lucky to have such a knowledgeable, caring vet! He asked us what kind she ate (Trident), how much and went to look it up. When he came back on the phone, he asked us how long it had been. We estimated about 15 minutes. He instructed us to give her 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide every 5 minutes, until she vomited. The gum should come out, he told us, if it had been ingested in the last hour, and she should be alright. If she began displaying any symptoms of poisoning he said to call his cell phone right away, which he gave to us. (He’s seriously awesome- we are very lucky!) She would then need to go in to the vet in the morning, so he could test her blood sugar. He informed us this poisoning could have caused blood sugar problems that we would need to medicate, though he felt she would be alright considering all the facts (we got to it very quickly, her weight ratio vs. the amount ingested, etc.).

How do you get a previously severely abused, frightened, mistreated dog to ingest 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide? Well, that was the hardest part! She would not drink it, no matter what we tried. We wanted to pull her head back and pour it down her throat straight from the bottle (one pour usually equals around 2 tablespoons) but that was not working with her. In her last home, someone grinded her bottom canines down and she does not like anyone touching her mouth now. So, we went to Plan B. We took the only syringe we had, a tiny one we used for Chelsea’s medicine) and squirted the hydrogen peroxide in her mouth. It took about 7 syringes to get 2 tablespoons down, so it was kind of traumatic. Poor baby. Thankfully, it only took about 4 minutes and a single 2 tablespoon dose and she was vomiting.

The next part is gross, so we’ll spare the details but we did find the gum. She was acting normal but wanted nothing to do with us (hello, she thought we just tried to poison her!). We took her to Dr. T in the morning for testing and thankfully, her blood sugar was normal. She survived a Xylitol poisoning. We were told if we had not noticed as soon as we did, she could have experienced a huge drop in blood sugar or even liver failure due to how much she ingested. We are very lucky!

Bottom line, never leave anything containing Xylitol out for your dogs to get, even for a minute! Though you may think it’s safe, your dog could still be able to get to it, so think twice. Keep it in a very safe spot, high up and tucked away. We are very vigilant with our pups, but it happened in a split second and could have caused serious problems for Scarlett. Seek medical attention from your vet immediately because every gum, candy, and sweet contains various amounts. In the event your dog ingests too much Xylitol, he’ll need to go to the veterinarian for professional care, monitoring, medicine and IVs.

Advertisements

7 responses to “Gum With Xylitol = Highly Toxic to Dogs

  1. Great post. Glad your baby was Ok. Thanks – DogDaz

  2. OMG, Scarlett! Please don’t scare your mom like that anymore. Once I ate one of Mom’s pills and she had to induce vomiting. It was gnarly. I was afraid to drink ANYTHING back then, let alone Hydrogen Peroxide. ASPCA Poison Control told Mom to spread a thin layer of peanut butter in the bottom of a dessert dish and put the peroxide on top of it. It worked like a charm! I drank that Peroxide like it was a martini – TWICE. Then things turned ugly, but I wasn’t poisoned, so my story had a happy ending, like yours, thank goodness. Be careful! xo

    Love and licks,
    Cupcake

  3. Thanks guys! We are glad Scarlett is ok, too- she gave us quite a scare! Cupcake, I’m glad you are also ok after your little expedition to eat one of Mom’s pills. Great idea to call poison control- I hadn’t even thought of that! Thankfully, our vet is pretty awesome and Scarlett is just fine!

  4. Thank you for this. I never knew it was so toxic. Relieved to hear that Scarlett was okay. Sounds like you have a great vet.

  5. Glad Scarlett was okay. I had no idea xylitol was toxic to dogs. I’ll make sure none gets within Bongo’s reach.

  6. Wow that is scary. We all of the labeling that is required, I wish they would have to label things with weird sounding names that are harmful to pets.

  7. Oh thank you so much for posting this. I have a 9lb yorkie. My daughter left a pack of gum on her night stand which he grabbed from simply climbing on the bed. Lucky she saw him eating it. I read your post and gave him a little peroxide and he threw up not even 2 mins later. The 4 pieces of gum was still whole, one piece still with paper on it. He is really mad though we tried to pick him up to comfort him and he went into his kennel, which he hates, and turned his back on us. But he is fine. We’ll go to vet in the morning. Thanks so much.

We appreciate your comments, woofs and meows!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s