Did you know yesterday (December 2nd) was National Mutt Day? How awesome!
This has inspired me to create a list of Month-Long Pet Awareness Pawlidays during 2012. Check out the links to each to learn more about these pet-worthy holidays. You can also search for events in your area and get involved with a holiday that interests you! There are many to choose from. Enjoy 🙂
- National Train Your Dog Month
- The National Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT) sponsors this month and also hosts many events to bring awareness to the importance of a trained, well-socialized dog. If you haven’t started your pup’s training yet, January is the perfect time to start!
- Responsible Pet Owners Month
- Being a responsible pet owner is not only about providing necessities and training your pup, it’s also about up-to-date vaccinations, never allowing dogs to roam, and spay/neuter. Check them out on Facebook by clicking the link above.
- National Pet Dental Health Month
- American Veterinary Medical Association reminds you to take care of your pooch’s teeth! Without regular cleanings, severe gum and mouth problems can occur which sometimes serious complications and expensive surgery. Now, there are lots of beneficial dental-friendly dog treats. We like Greenies Dental Chews.
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Month
- The ASPCA sponsors this important month of awareness with events including urging people to go orange to show their support! They have a lot of awesome events and are celebrating 165 years of fighting against cruelty to animals.
- National Pet First Aid Awareness Month
- The American Red Cross reminds everyone to keep your family (pets included!) safe and healthy going into the summer season. Summer is a time where many dangers for dogs exist, most commonly heat-related illnesses. Check out more tips from the Red Cross on how to keep your pets safe during the hot summer days and throughout the year.
- Adopt a Cat Month
- The American Humane Association sponsors this fur-worthy event during a time when the most kittens are born and need homes. Cats make wonderful friends for our furry pups– if you don’t have a kitty you should get one in June for some summer fun 🙂
- Adopt a Shelter Dog Month
- The ASPCA urges people to consider adopting a dog- especially during the month of October. They have adoption events and promote the joy of adoption. Check out the website for events and adoptable dogs, no matter what month it is.
- Adopt a Senior Pet Month
- The ASPCA sponsors events in October to promote the adoption of older dogs (2+ years). There are many benefits to adopting an older pet, you can check out the top reasons by clicking the link above.
Whoa! That’s a lot of Pet Pawlidays! And this list doesn’t even include National Pet Holidays that are only for a day or week. Including National Mutt Day, there are some shorter noteworthy Pawlidays like Lost Pets Awareness Day and Spay Day USA in February, National Pet Week in May and National Feral Cat Day in October.
Are there any Pet Pawlidays you celebrate or are involved in? Besides of course, your sweet babies’ birthdays 😉