Pets Christmas Tree Safety


If you celebrate Christmas and plan to put up a tree this year, here are a few tips to help ensure your pet’s safety. Happy Holidays!

Christmas Tree needles contain oils that can be toxic to pets. If ingested or chewed, it can cause irritation and upset stomach or more serious complications like blockage/obstruction or tears/punctures. Chemically enhanced Christmas Trees (especially the ones in Florida!) are even more toxic and have a higher chance of causing stomach irritation. The needles can also be toxic if pets rub or scratch against them, causing itchy irritation, swollen skin and discomfort. It happened to Harley last year and he was miserable. Needless to say, he won’t be rubbing any more trees.

Christmas Tree water can be harmful to pets, causing upset stomach, diarrhea . If chemicals have been used, they can come out into the water and make pets sick. Be safe- try using a water cover to block your animals’ access. If you don’t have a cover, change the water frequently.

Lights on trees and around the house can burn and even shock pets that chew on them. Check the cords regularly to make sure they aren’t damaged. If you notice signs of chewing, move them to a place inaccessible to your pup.

Ornaments are fascinating to puppies, playful pooches and cats alike. If an ornament gets ingested, it can cause upset stomach, tears or punctures. Low hanging ornaments can be swatted from the tree, break and get lodged in your pet’s paws. Some ornaments also contain toxins harmful to pets.

Advertisements

4 responses to “Pets Christmas Tree Safety

  1. Oh yes the tree. Very good advice.

    The Golden we had before Chessies ate some glass ornaments and the nativity set one Christmas. Never paid any mind to them for years and then one year…$300 trip to the ER vet. After that he was crated at Christmas.

    During that same time, we used to watch my Dad’s cat at Christmas and she would always drink the tree water. I guess it didn’t hurt her too much though because she is still around at 18 years old. 🙂

  2. Glad I have an artificial tree. The biggest problems I’ve had are finding it laying down in the morning. When our cat was younger he used to climb it.

  3. 2browndawgs, your poor Golden! That sounds like a Christmas you’ll never forget. I think the water is really hit or miss depending on the chemicals in the tree. Knock on wood, we’ve never had problems either.
    Bongo, I can see Scratchy climbing that tree now LOL. Artificial trees are also harmful if ingested- they are toxic and pets are unable to digest them. Bongo and Scratchy are probably too smart to eat the tree though…also not sure how it would taste 🙂

  4. Chancy, Mumsy and Crew

    Oh, we love purple and that is a beautiful Christmas tree. Thank you for posting all the safety reminders for the season. Hugs and nose kisses

We appreciate your comments, woofs and meows!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s